Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Patagonia Expedition Guide

Written by Guest Blogger Josie
Hi! Today I’m going to tell you about our JDO Patagonia book. For those of you who don’t know, JDO is a program for schools that match you with a classroom around the world. Our classroom was paired with a classroom in Dublin, Ireland. We have been doing fun projects this whole year, and the Patagonia book was one of them.

The whole reason we’re doing this project is because of Miss Klipfel’s National Geographic Lindblad expedition. Miss Klipfel applied to be a National Geographic Grosvenor Teacher Fellow. The whole idea is to send teachers to remote places so they can teach more people about them. She was one of the fifty teachers who got selected out of like, hundreds! Miss Klipfel is going to be sent to the far reaches of South America. She’ll be sent to remote islands, and see lots of other cool areas while she travels to Patagonia.
Patagonia is somewhere in the far South of South America, and to be honest, not a lot of people know about it. That’s when we got the great idea to do a JDO project about it! We started with a Padlet to figure about what we already knew about Patagonia which was pretty much nothing and brainstorm things we were curious about. 
We met over Zoom to begin researching and planning our book together. Like with other projects, we split into groups and got assigned specific sections. I got assigned the introduction, and-but enough about me! It took us close to a month to finish, but we finally did. 
Miss Klipfel also added a new section to her blog dedicated to her National Geographic expedition, so she can inform everyone about all the places they probably haven’t heard of. 
Click here to Explore with Miss Klipfel
Anyway, the Patagonia book is going to be shared with people from all different places, and inform them about a not so known place. We even made a K-2 edition for younger students to be able to read and learn about Patagonia. Check out the book and learn about Patagonia too!

This project was by far one of the most fun I have ever participated in, and I am proud to have been part of teaching people about Patagonia!

6 comments:

  1. What type of birds live in Patagonia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The JDO project was amazing! The zoom calls and the Google Sites that we made were awesome! I loved when we would meet in the morning and maybe do a Blooket or just talk and share what was happening in the school! This was an amazing thing that we could do in 4th grade! -Finn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked working with my partner. It was fun Zooming with Ireland. The Wonders Of The World was my favorite project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was surprised when we first met with our ireland friends because I have never met people in ireland that are irish. I have been happy when we meet with them because they are nice and the projects we get to do are amazing. My dad and my mom never got to meet people in ireland when they were in 4th grade. They had to do math and normal ELA. We get to meet with our irish friends and do ELA stuff and we do projects that are ELA related. Like this we get to write about different parts of Patagonia and we all work together with our irish friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joey , I really like my jdo partner he was nice and fun. We work on the google site together and are patagonia book. and I loved Zooming together. I am really happy I was in miss klipfel class. We are lucky we get to zoom with people in Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this was such a fun project it was so fun learning with kids from a different country! this was really really fun to decorate and put facts about patagonia on the slide show with are irish friends because I am irish

    ReplyDelete